Club Med Columbus Isle

Trip Report

boraborabob
192 Posts
Apr
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
I try to make sure I get a picture of every GO on a trip so if I return within a responsible time I can make a tee shirt with all their pictures. Which I did for this trip. But my big weakness is remembering names. I'm horrible at it. I kept calling super GO Eric, Marc, etc. Anyway on to report. So to all those who I don't mention by name, I apologize.

This trip was as close to perfect as any I've had. I didn't feel like a Gold Member but a SUPER Gold Member. On arrival was whisked off to the Club where I was met by GO team and sent looking for my room with Jen Jen (aka Jeniffer). Jennifer was front desk in Turks and I had met her on her first day as a GO a few years ago. Jennifer now works in the office (finance) but is very involved in evening shows. Had dinner with her 1st and last evening. We got lost a few times looking for my room but it gave us more time to catch up on this and that. Room was perfect location to be easy on my poor knees. Shortest walk to bar and poker table and on the beach.

Bumped into Lea (sports and entertainment) and seems to be the "go to" management GO for anything and she told me the poker table was set up on the veranda outside the bar and would stay there until I left. They know I love to put together "After the Show" poker tournaments. Front desk had spent time pasting 4 Aces to my room key package and also drilled a hole in a black poker chip and made me a poker key chain for my room key. I mean "What a Welcome". I'm pretty sure it was Andrian or Stefine who did the poker A's and poker key chain.

Barq was Barq, what can I say. I could walk anywhere in the village and he would always turn up within view. He must walk the village every hour all day. He calls me his "Poker GO". Barq had an excellent GO team in the Turks for the last few years dealing with mostly American and Canadian guests. What makes him unique to me is can transition to to a completely different customer base, mostly French and children, and still have the leadership skills to put together an excellent GO team.

I did mostly sailing and Cedric and his team did a great job. He came along from the Turks with Barq. All boats were working for the 2 weeks I was there. My only bad experience was coming in last place in the Tuesday Regatta both weeks. Must have been my sailing partner. LOL.

Food was excellent. I hadn't been to an annex restaurant for years and assumed nothing had changed. I spent one evening at the annex restaurant with 2 beautiful female GO's. I was really presently surprised. I mean it was just like being in an excellent restaurant at home. Menu, good selection, great service, fantastic food (you could cut the steak with a fork) and good company. Few people, outside and very quiet. I forgot where I was and actually reached for my wallet to give the server my credit card at meals end. I plan on spending more time at the annex restaurant my next trip.

Room was clean, weather almost perfect, beach cleaned every day, few bugs, and a fantastic GO team. People like Eric and Laura (super GO's)who are moving along soon will be sorely missed.

I managed to put together a hold-em poker game almost every night after the show. Getting the table full was easy. The French seem to really be into poker. Barq and I am discussing putting together a formal (afternoon poker lessons and scheduled tournament nightly)during the last 2 weeks of August just prior to closing. I hope it works out.

For those who may be new my check out bill was under $100 and most of that was cleaning. I'm lazy.

GO Fawn gets the award for the biggest smile on the island. Charley gets the award for being the clumsiest, fell and cut up jaw, Alabama gets the award for the GO who can consume the most White wine at dinner. Calif Lauren for the highest enegry level on the planet. The "Girls" award for winning or coming in second the most in the poker games. Beautiful Nicoles, from France, got a CM sports medal for winning the most times.

In closing,a special thanks to a couple from England who wrote a great review on Trip Adviser, Apr 11, for mentioning me in Par#2 in regards to enjoying poker with Bob. A good experience takes both a good GO team and also a Good GM group. I've been lucky on both of my last 2 trips and had both.

Bob

PS: There is one very special GO. Short, ears kind of stick out, slim, office on Veranda, seems to run just about everything, usually in charge when Barq is absent, was leaving on vacation on same plane as I exited on. I just can't pronounce, remember or always forget to write down his name. And I really like the guy? Shame on me, think it starts with a "P".
Please login or register to reply
Marcus
479 Posts
Apr
BBB! How are you!

El Presidente for Life!
Calvin and Hobbes Fan Club
boraborabob
192 Posts
Apr
Forgot one negative......

As an experiment I thought I would try to make the trip from Corpus Christi Texas to Columbus Isles in one day. IE no layover in Ft Lauderdale.

Went and bought some of those plastic vacuum bags for travel and managed to get everything for 2 weeks in one carry on!!!!!!!YES including my favorite Goose Down pillow. It's amazing how small everything gets using just an average vacuum cleaner.

BUT....I asked every GO, house keeping, maintenance, etc where their may be a Vacuum or shop vac or anything close for the return trip. They do not exist in the village! I also spent an afternoon walking the back streets of Columbus Isles CM, like behind the theater, inside the maintenance facilities, GO town, etc. Packing was a struggle and did require leaving a few things behind. But if you wear 3 tee shirts, a long sleeve shirt, bathing suit for underwear, 2 pair of slacks and throw all your dirty underwear you can do it!

Have a great day.....

ReefPolice
315 Posts
Apr
That's pretty funny (although it probably didn't seem funny to you, sorry)!
Did you know they also make "Travel Space Bags" that don't need a vacuum cleaner? We use those when we go to the Club, although they don't shrink quite as much as the vacuum-cleaner Space Bags.
I suppose there isn't anything in the Village that requires a vacuum cleaner - all the floors are tiled and just need mops.

Adria
CIfan
17 Posts
Apr
Bob,

What were the dress codes when you were there? We'll be there May 6th and are hoping the themes are the same!

thanks!!

Sarah

CI Fan
indiana
480 Posts
Apr
The GO mentioned in the review, if I am not mistaken, is in charge of the hotel services, also a GO( by training), originally from Tunisia. He was in Turkoise in 2009 and 2010.
Marcus
479 Posts
Apr
Underarmour dry fit stuff! no wrinkles and you can wash and hang it!

El Presidente for Life!
Calvin and Hobbes Fan Club
ReefPolice
315 Posts
May
If you'll be back in August, come find us...we'll be on the dive boat in the morning & beach in the afternoon. (And "we're with the band" in the evening) Would be nice to meet you....

Adria
boraborabob
192 Posts
May
I'm trying to decide weather to do Turks or Columbus Isles in August. Really enjoy Barq and I think this may be the end of his American zone. So probably will CI again.

But if a special comes along for Turks before August will probably make a trip to Turks.

PS: I wrote a trip report (CI)on Trip Advisory on April 27th, it finally got posted yesterday???????? I finally got around to updating my web page boraborabob.com with a club med section and pictures for last two years of Turks and Columbus Isles. If you ever wondered what our own (Professional GM) looks like this is a shortcut. http://www.boraborabob.com/tahiti/Picture%20006.jpg
AmateurGO
560 Posts
May
Well Bob, I can't say that's the worst picture of me anyone has taken, but.... :-)
Of course that is my wife Susan next to me and Bruce (of Bruce and Helene) next to her. We'll all be back to Turks in early Oct this year.
You might want to double check to see just when CI is closing for a couple of months, I've heard late Aug or Sept....

Oh, and to get even with Bob, here is a picture of him participating in one of his favorite activities:
http://www.hammocktree.us/ms/CMTC09/boraborabob.JPG

Amateur GO ( Professional GM )
http://www.hammocktree.us/amateurgos.jpg
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
Regarding the seasonal closures, I do the updates as soon as I hear something about.
Just check the sticky topic 'News'.
ReefPolice
315 Posts
May
quote:
Originally posted by AmateurGO

Well Bob, I can't say that's the worst picture of me anyone has taken, but.... :-)
Of course that is my wife Susan next to me and Bruce (of Bruce and Helene) next to her. We'll all be back to Turks in early Oct this year.
You might want to double check to see just when CI is closing for a couple of months, I've heard late Aug or Sept....

Oh, and to get even with Bob, here is a picture of him participating in one of his favorite activities:
http://www.hammocktree.us/ms/CMTC09/boraborabob.JPG

Amateur GO ( Professional GM )
http://www.hammocktree.us/amateurgos.jpg

>>>> You might want to double check to see just when CI is closing for a couple of months, I've heard late Aug or Sept.... <<<<

Columbus Isle will be closing at the end of August, as it did last year. Last year the reopening was in mid/late October; not sure exactly when reopening scheduled for this year.

Adria
boraborabob
192 Posts
Jun
Barq told me they would be closed in September. But I didn't ask for details. However if you try to book on-line Aug 6th looks like the last one week booking date And October 15th after closing. When I checked last week Aug 13th was open. So who really knows.

Barq also said the French charter just goes dead when school starts in France in mid August. And that one charter probably makes up at least a third of the visitors.
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Jun
quote:
Originally posted by boraborabob

Barq told me they would be closed in September. But I didn't ask for details. However if you try to book on-line Aug 6th looks like the last one week booking date And October 15th after closing. When I checked last week Aug 13th was open. So who really knows.

Barq also said the French charter just goes dead when school starts in France in mid August. And that one charter probably makes up at least a third of the visitors.

When you try to check closing date for Columbus Isle by trying to book on-line, what's misleading is that the Village is already completely sold out for most of August & has been for some time already. But "no availability" doesn't mean that the Village has already closed. The last I heard was that the last charter flight back to Paris would be probably August 24, and the last charter flight back to Ft. Lauderdale would be August 27. After that, the Village would be closed until (probably) mid-October. You can get a better idea of exact dates (for closing, at least) by phoning one of the Club sales offices, rather than trying to figure it out based on whether you can book for any of those weeks in August. We know quite a few people who have recently tried to book in August but were told the Village was already sold out; and we know other people who booked long ago and will be there for most of August.
In recent years, Columbus Isle has been almost entirely booked by French & Italian GM's for most of August. Many of the Italians take the charter flight from FLL, so that fills up booking availability for GM's from the US, even though there are not many American GM's in the Village at that time. (Last summer, the charter flights from Montreal stopped even earlier than the other charters, and friends from there who wanted to come join us in August had to book land only and fly in via Nassau, since the FLL charter was already completely booked by Italian GM's.)

Adria

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/26/2024 at 8:57:31 PM