Club Med Cancun Yucatán

About snorkeling

Chisato
3 Posts
Nov
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Hi I will go Cancun CM on Nov.18 from Japan.
It is my first time to visit Mexico!
I and my family is looking forward to do snorkeling around the CM.

But I have no idea that I have to bring snorkeling materials or not.

In Asia area CM, I couldn't borrow materials free time.
It was permitted only at snorkeling trip.
At Cancun is same style?

Dose someone know or can answer about my question?

I hope some reply.

Please login or register to reply
nspelich
42 Posts
Nov
At Cancun the snorkeling equipment is available without charge. The only downside is the surf, when we were there in April snorkeling was unavailable about four of the seven days due to the waves.

Trish
476 Posts
Nov
Nspelich,

But I think Chisato's question is at Cancun, can you use the snorkeling equipment even when you're not on a snorkeling excursion? (On the boat, for example).

I know that at Turks, you can only use the club's snorkeling gear when you're going on the boat - otherwise, you have to bring your own. Is it the same at Cancun?

Trish

Dive now; work later!
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Nov
When I went years ago it was can be used ANYTIME, not just on snorkeling excursion. I hope it hasnt changed. Some of the best snorkeling, even for beginners, around. Some of the excursions where just going out with a GO and not on a boat.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Nov
James is correct. You can use the snorkeling equipment without going on an excursion. There is a huge reef just offshore and a snorkeling shack where you pick the equipment up. I have seen some nice things like a huge crab, a four foot barracuda and probably a 50 lb grouper/jewfish plus numerous schools of fish of some sort. Note that the reef is dead so not much in the way of colorful corral. Near the sailing/windsurfing beach there is a reef that is a natural park and visited by a lot of local tours. I have never checked that area out. I also never did any snorkeling excursions. Finally, this website is the definitive info site for CM Cancun and is hosted by frequent poster Seattle Craig.

http://www.cmcancunreview.com/index.html

Finally, what happened to the ship wreck? We missed going to Cancun last year because of the flu outbreak.

Jim
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Nov
Is CM franchising ship wrecks to other villages than Punta Cana? That would ruin my image that Punta Cana is unique with the shipwreck that still no one can tell the true story about. It just seems to be getting further apart every year. Maybe it is like the Picture of Dorian Gray. When the wreck disappears, so does Club Med Punta Cana.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
GMforever
154 Posts
Nov
Hello

You will find plenty of snorkeling gear at the shack. However, it is not always open.
( Closed from 12 to 2 if I remember well)
The current can be strong. If it windy, you dont see much. However, it is good for sailing.
The reef is not what it used to be in the 90s.
Also, you have to wear a life jacket to go there since last year ( bugger)
Finally, they will give you a bracelet at the shack as the place is a National Park
You need it also for sailing, windsurfing and kayaking. It is good for 1 week.
The big flotting pontoon that was there at the beginning of 2000 is no longer
I dont remember seeing a shipwreck ( we were there 3 times in 2007 and 2008)

Still, CM is the best place to snorkel in Cancun and in others places also ( almost direct from your room)
If you want to take a tour, I recommend the Cenote ( caves )

Have fun
Chisato
3 Posts
Nov
Thank you everybody for your kindly and quick reply to my question.
From Japan, there is no package tour to Cancun CM. It's too bad.
So I have to get informations by myself.
But you know, my English is very poor, so I am really worried about a lot of things.

Anyway I hope I and my familly spend wonderful vacation at CM.
We will be there from Nov 18 to Dec 1.
If someone will be at the same time please talk to us.

I decide to bring snorkeling equipment(not material) finally.
Because we want to enjoy it anytime anywhere!!
And our daugther is small foot even in Japan so maybe no fit fins.

Thanks a lot !
Dear nspelich/ Trish/ JAMESSITE/ Cicago Jim/ GMforever

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/23/2024 at 2:42:47 PM